Though the town I grew up in was primarily Italian during my childhood, we also had quite a bit of Greek food around as they share similar ingredients. This is my version of a beef souvlaki protein topping for a Ridiculously Big Salad.
If you’ve got 2 lbs of a relatively cheap beef steak or roast around, this is a truly scrumptious thing to make with it.
Cut the beef against the grain when cubing to improve the tenderness beyond what the greek beef kabobs marinade accomplishes.
I have never bothered with skewers for this; I just marinade overnight and then cook the greek beef kabobs in the oven the following day. In a pinch, you could just marinade for an hour, but I like to do it overnight to maximize the flavor and tenderness.
Beef Souvlaki RBS Protein Topper
- 2 lb flat iron, top round, flank or skirt steak, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 TB red wine vinegar
- 1 TB dry oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry tuermeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a ziploc bag and mix before refirgerating. Turn the bag over once or twice while it marinates.
- Prehat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain steak and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Spread steak in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
For each of the four servings, plate a big bowl of lettuce (6-8 cups of torn romaine works well) with tzatziki salad dressing.